Saturday, April 11, 2009

'Bout time I updated.  I have noticed so many have gone to the "Facebook" thing, but I think having this - for me - has been much better for sharing my feelings.  I have truly enjoyed finding old friends and keeping up with those that I know.  I am so grateful for all of my friends and family.  I think that was instilled in me when I was rather young.  Being a member of such a large family - that includes the Flakes, Smiths, Webbs, DeWitts, Bakers, Farnsworths, Martineaus, etc., etc., etc., I was given ample opportunity to have lots of friends.  My parents always enjoyed being with their kinfolk and that helped me enjoy it too.

Since I have "grown up," I have been able to really appreciate those relatives that I grew up knowing or being introduced to.  I have seen first hand what a wonderful group of people I am a part of.  Growing up in Snowflake, of course, I knew all of my Flake relatives that resided there also.  I had many of my cousins that were around my age and we did things together quite often.  There were many of the Smith relatives that I knew and grew up with also.  Mine is a rich heritage, for sure.  

I totally believe I was blessed to have been given the opportunity to grow up around family.  It has molded my life into that of appreciating people from all circumstances.  I have relatives that run from all extremes - some have lots of money, some have next to nothing, some have fame, some are very quietly living their lives, some are doing just fine being in the middle - but each of them have played a valuable part in my life.  I honor my family.  I am grateful for the kind of people they are.  As a whole, they are honest and forthright - they have testimonies of the Gospel of Jesus Christ and try to live up to that testimony.  That, I think is what makes us such a great family.  

I will site the Flake family for a moment - We meet each year for a big reunion in July.  This reunion is attended by hundreds of us Flakes from all around.  There are still a good handful that live in Snowflake, but there are thousands of us spread around the world and it is exciting to see those that come to visit for the reunion.  I have been trying to find out for sure if this is true, but I believe we have the longest running "family rodeo" in the nation.  But anyhow - one of the most wonderful things is that when you meet a family member, you are greeted as being a very important part of the family.  It doesn't matter what limb of the tree you are off of, you are still a vital part of this important family.  My father's first cousins treat me as if I were on the same limb of the tree as they - they always come and give me a hug and a good warm handshake - which makes me feel so much love.  I love each of them and appreciate their friendship throughout the years.

The DeWitt family is so similar - they sure like to have fun.  They laugh, sing, tease, etc. and you just can't leave them without feeling that wonderful sense of family.  So many of my relatives on all sides give me that feeling.  I am so grateful to the Lord for giving me the opportunity to grow up in such circumstances and pray that I will always be a good example to others.  So - if you're a relative - I LOVE YOU!

Now - I have been privileged to meet and get to know so many others that don't come so close in the relative area - but are just like my family.  All of you continue to make my life a blessing.  So many of you were there to help teach me while growing up.  Many of you came after I left home (sort of) as an adult (Ha - never really have gotten to that point yet).  Because of your influence on me, I am who I am today.  The circle of friends that surround me are great!  Your testimonies of the Gospel also bolster me up to meet the challenges of the times.

I had the beautiful opportunity to play for two very dear friends' funerals.  Brother Bill Maxwell was such a wonderful friend.  I grew up with his kids and I have had lots of fun with Bill through the years.  It was sad to hear of his passing, but he had lived a long, happy life and it was time to move on to his wife and children that have passed on before.  I will always be grateful for my association with him and his family.  I am so honored to have been a part of his celebration and I thank the family for including me.

The next funeral - I had very mixed emotions about.  My dear friend Dawn Shelton - a classmate and friend and church companion.  She passed on very suddenly and so it was a shock to us to hear of it.  Yet, understanding what she had been through in her life, this was a real blessing.  It isn't easy for her family to lose her, but because they are founded in the Gospel, they the have a keen understand as to where Dawn is now.  I mentioned to her brother and sister that I felt Dawn had graduated.  She had come to this life to learn what God had in store for her - she had many trials - many of those trials were very hard - yet, she did what she was supposed to do, she endured.  So, when she passed through the veil, I'm sure she was greeted with that understanding that she had passed the test and now had graduated on to the next part of the Plan of our Heavenly Father.

What a wonderful thing to understand - that we have a short time being away from Heavenly Father and we get to be tested as to what caliber of spirit and child of God we are and then know that we will be able to return to Him again.  This is all because of what our Saviour, Jesus Christ, did for us.  This is the Easter season - so many important dates surround the final Easter morning.  

The thought of the Lord being treated as a common criminal - or worse - and being flogged, scourged, beaten.  That alone makes my soul weep.  But - the most important thing that was done, was when He went to the Garden and took our sins upon His shoulders.  My goodness!!!  How many drops of blood did I cause Him to shed?  Many more than I should have, yet He did it for me.  He gave me opportunity to repent and continue to strive to live my life worthy of that sacrifice.  Then - He died - on the cross - a most inhumane way of torture - for me....!!!  In this mortal understanding of mine, it is inconceivable what He truly went through, but He did it - He did it for all of us!  Just for that we should celebrate.

Then - He rose from the dead!  He took his body from the tomb and it was glorified and perfected and He opened the graves.  To have that understanding is humbling.  To know that because of Him, I too, will be able to be reunited with my body after death and it be perfected and that I will have the opportunity to live with Him and our Father again - WITH MY FAMILY, TOGETHER, FOREVER!  Hallelujia!  Glory to God on High!  He is RISEN!

My dearest family and friends - thank you again for helping me in all of my follies to come to the understanding of what life is truly about.  You are so wonderful.  I LOVE YOU ALL!

No comments: