Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day to all of you!

I hope you have a wonderful day.

I was sitting here, trying to get tired enough to go back to bed and found myself reflecting on past Valentine's days.  I remember making one big special card that had a string on it and we would go knock on the door of some unsuspecting friend or family member, then run and hide behind a bush or something.  When they would answer the door and try to pick up the valentine, we would yank on the string and pull the valentine out of reach.  I remember trying not to laugh out loud when I would hear some of the comments.  It was fun to watch as the recipient would chase the card until they found us hiding and then all of us would laugh and have a good time about it.

I can remember how much fun it was to get valentine cards.  I would stay up late the night before and write the names of my friends on various cards my Mom had gotten for me - many times they were home-made.  I remember how thrilled I was to give these out.  This was my chance to tell some of the kids in my class that I liked them.  What was interesting to me was how on that one day, everyone was a little nicer.  I think it was because they were going to get something.  But be that as it may, we all seemed to look forward to see who was going to give us their valentine's cards.

I remember having a crush on a certain young man in Fourth grade.  I never told anyone who it was, and I'm not going to now, but I thought he was pretty cool.  I couldn't wait to give him a valentine's card.  I remember trying to be really sneaky and get my card into his desk.  It was one I had specially picked out and I knew no one else had that same card, so I would be able to see what kind of reaction he would give when he opened up that card.  I waited all day.  I was on pins and needles waiting to see if he liked me as much as I liked him.  I have to just laugh at me - I was not what you would call the most popular person in the class, and I often felt I was just a "friend of convenience" to the others my age.  I tried everything to be accepted, but went home many a day crying to my mother about something that had happened that day and how I felt a little mistreated, etc.  I have to say, I was sure glad I had my Mom.  She would say, "I'll go talk to their mother about this."  And I would panic and say, "Don't Mama - they will hate me even more if you do that."  Anyhow - such the dramatic life of a pre-teen.  (Teenage years weren't much different - I just had my violin I turned to when I was feeling rejected.)

Anyhow - back to the story.  I waited all day.  At the end of the day - just before we were release to go home, Mrs. Jackson let us open our valentine's cards.  I remember I had just a few cards, but some of the kids had hundreds!  I'm not kidding!  Well - this young man had hundreds.  I kept watching him to see if he would like the card I gave him.  I waited - I waited - I waited.  The bell rang and everyone ran out to go home.  I never did see him open my card!  I was crushed!  I remember walking home thinking all was lost - he would never know how much I liked him.  I'm sure you can kind of remember what that felt like.....  Well, a few days later, I don't remember what we were doing - I think we were practicing for our class program we were going to give in the gym - and this young man came up to me and quietly said, "Thanks for the Valentine."  That was all he said.  I could have died right there!!!  My heart skipped at least 12 beats and I felt like I was going to float right off the floor.  He had actually read my valentine.  WOW!  Needless to say, I dreamed about him for a while over that.  Then came Fifth grade - and he turned out to be a real jerk.  Oh well - it was great while it lasted.  Valentine's Day - 1967.  Isn't it funny how things jump back into your memory?  Never thought I would even remember that.

Well - thank goodness for forums like this, where I can just ramble on about memories and such.  Hope I didn't bore you with that memory, but it was fun recalling it.  I am just sitting here laughing out loud.

Hope you all have a good day!  May you all feel my love and know you are very special to me.  I wouldn't be who I am if it weren't for special friends like you who have shared your life with me.  

YYY Hugs and Kisses! YYY

Tawna

1 comment:

sara said...

Well hello there lady! Look who's blogging! Isn't this such a fun way to keep in touch? For me it has nearly replaced my journal too, but it's especially great for keeping in touch with friends & family who don't live around here. Your 4th grade Valentines story reminds me so much of a certain yearbook-signing incident when I was 14; my goodness it doesn't seem so long ago.

I hope you guys are doing great in Mesa; things are good here -- still directing the choir and we have had some new recruits lately so it's been nice. Getting ready for a very music-filled Easter program. Feel free to click on over to my blog & read my ramblings as well! Love ya Tawna!