Tuesday, February 24, 2009

It's time for another update.  Wish there had been something exciting happen, but all I can say is life keeps moving on.

Was up in Snowflake a couple of week-ends ago.  My sister took her family up to play in the snow.  I had the wonderful opportunity to take care of my nephew, Payt, and help Grandpa in the Barn.  Payt went down for a nap and Grandpa decided to utilize my time by putting in a couple of small speakers up on the ceiling of the Barn.  My dad is a hoot!  He wanted to have real "stereo" sound coming from his stereo and he felt the big speakers on the floor didn't give the true picture as they are very close together you only hear the stereo when you're up close.  Hence, new speakers up on the wall/ceiling.

My father is 76 years old this Friday.  He was going up and down the big tall ladders like a youngster.  I was totally amazed.  Of course he was glad when we were through running wires and hiding them along the corners.  When you go into the Barn, you will understand what a real fete this was for Daddy.  It was fun to spend time alone with my Dad.  He is one of the most wonderful people in the world!

I have been grateful for my understanding of my folks.  I knew from a very young age that my parents were not "born" parents.  I knew that they were learning with each one of us children.  It has been interesting watching how they have handled each of us and our little quirks and our funny ways.  Years ago, discipline was a little different than it is today.  The philosophy of "spare the rod, spoil the child" was almost strictly adhered to.  My Dad had grown up with a very stern father, who also had a very stern father, who had a stern father, etc.  This meant that when you did something you shouldn't, you were disciplined - usually with a belt or a willow or a strap - or a kick in the pants.  Today children are put into "time out" or "time away" or sent to their room for a time.  Only rarely do you see them paddled beforehand.  

I grew up knowing both sides of it.  And, as I reflect on this, I am grateful for the things I learned.  I do not hold anything against my folks for the discipline I received.  I was taught that there was a consequence for doing something wrong.  I think I am a better person because my folks took the time to teach me, talk to me, discipline me.  Sometimes it was a little uncomfortable, but I always knew my parents loved me.  I saw more tears shed because they didn't want to spank, but felt it was needed.

Then, as each of us grew up, the discipline changed somewhat.  It seems that the younger kids had more "talkin' toos" than me and my brother just younger.  I know that the younger ones did get a share on some of the other, but Mama and Daddy could see that they needed to discipline according to the child, not just for discipline's sake.  I believe my folks did a marvelous job raising my little brothers and sister.  The younger ones amaze me every day.  They have such beautiful families and have shown love to their children the same as they were shown growing up.  I think they're marvelous.

Anyone who raises a child is amazing to me - let alone raising many children.  I have wished I would have had the opportunity to raise a child in this life, but some of my own choices may have kept that from happening.  Marrying later in life kind of puts a little bit of a damper on "growin' your own," so I have accepted the fact that I will need to live worthy enough to have that blessing in the hereafter.  I have been promised children by the Lord and I know He will make good on that promise if I prove to Him I am worthy of that blessing.  But, for now, I have the opportunity to spoil my nieces and nephews.  I have appreciated the love these kids show to me and how they have accepted Uncle Nick.  We may not be the most active Aunt and Uncle, but I think they can see we have fun.

I get to spend a lot of time with my sister's children and have watched them grow and mature.  Of course her oldest, Rhett, has grown at least 6 inches in the last six months (I swear!) and his voice is getting a little deeper as we speak.  He's way taller than his mom and inching up on his dad.  Her oldest daughter, Brynn, is amazing in her talent with dancing.  She is going to be a real knockout and I think her parents are going to have to keep a bat by the door to chase off the fellers.  Then there's the third, Brooke, - what a voice!  And what talent in dancing herself.  Those blue eyes of hers just about knock you over and what I said about her older sister, just about goes double for her.  I have never heard a kid sing more - her sister comes a close second on that one.

Then there is my Payt.  What an angel boy.  He is growing so.  We are working with his speech and have thrilled when he starts to make sense with his words.  He still struggles with putting the beginnings and endings of the words there, but he is trying more and more to communicate using words - he signs some also.  I have noticed his singing to himself a lot more lately.  He likes to go look at the huge mirror in the hall and sing to himself and talk to himself.  He's a crack up!  He is showing a lot of character with facial expressions and such - he even mimics the girls when they throw tantrums.  Or, if one gets in trouble, Payt will show his concern and his love to that brother or sister by going up and hugging them or crying with them or running back to the bedroom with them to support them.  I have laughed and cried at these manifestations and feel the constant miracle of Payt and his progress.

I am so grateful for the opportunity to share with my brothers and sister and their children.  

My younger brother's kids are great.  I have watched the oldest, Tiffany, grow into a beautiful young woman getting ready to graduate from High School and go to college and play volleyball with the big girls.  She is very talented in volleyball!  I have had some good times with my sweetie!  Then there comes the oldest boy - Derek - Grandpa's shadow.  I really don't know what Grandpa would do with out him.  He takes care of the horses - saddles them up and rides and trains them.  Then he goes to work to earn a little money for his mission fund and just living life.  He plays great basketball, like his dad, wears his dad's suit and even look like his dad.  Grandma says she has trouble telling them apart if their back is to her.

Then comes our little/big man, Jordan.  I am absolutely amazed at his talents.  There is a lot to this kid.  He is great with others - everyone loves him.  He is his class president and you can really see why.  Next comes our Aubry.  What can I say - she has grown at least six inches too in the last six months - what are these kids eating?????  She is coming into her own - loves basketball and is good at it.  I haven't had the opportunity to see her games, but she tells me about them and I am glad she keeps me abreast to her activities.  Next comes Melany.  My Mel!  I will never forget her coming over to Grandma's and crawling into bed with Grandma just to snuggle.  She adores her Grandma Louise.  I am so glad she does.  She is so sweet and she is doing great with tumbling and stuff like that.  She'll be another knock out for sure!  Now - KAMY.  What can I say - she's the cutest thing walkin'!  She has such a cute personality.  I don't get to see her quite as much as I did the other kids because Nick and I got married and I moved away, but Kamy does recognize me and that makes me feel good.

Now - I can't not mention my other nephews.  Dallas' boys, Trenton and Dustin.  I love those two.  They are much older than the rest of the kids and grew up for the most part away from us, but they do remember spending a lot of time at Grandma and Grandpa's and feel it their home.  I am grateful they have that bond.  I pray for them in their choices.  Their father hasn't always been the greatest of examples for the good, but they did have a man, Mark, that helped their mother in raising them.  He tried very hard to do the right thing and I will always be grateful to him for that.  Trent is off to school and Dustin is still trying to figure things out.  I hope the best for them always.

I have a couple of others, my sister Rosemary's kids, Shandiin and Denver.  They grew up in Salt Lake City and we haven't been able to get very close.  I still love them and pray for them to make wise decisions, as does their mother.  Rosy is wonderful.  She has stayed faithful throughout much adversity and she has been a great example to me.  I love her very much.

Well - I was just planning on a short post, but wrote an epistle.  Thanks for reading.  I hope you got something good out of it.  I don't even know if anyone really reads this, but whatever the case, I love you.  Thanks again for being there!

Tawna

No comments: